Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Guest Blogger (SS Rachel): Pinterest Wreath Score!

I’m so ready for Spring!!  I know it is actually here, but it sure does not feel like it!!  I wanted to spruce my front door up a bit and hopefully remind Spring to come out to play with a DIY Spring deco mesh wreath.

I’ve always loved those deco mesh wreaths, but I am too cheap to buy them.  Those babies are expensive!   I did a little Pinterest research and decided I was going to give the DIY wreath a try.  I found a tutorial here.

So here is how I made my super fun Spring deco mesh wreath!!  Trust me.  If I can do it, anyone can.  I am the queen of Pinterest FAILS!!! 





So I got all my supplies at Hobby Lobby at regular price because I wanted it RIGHT NOW!  (I highly recommend planning ahead and getting the deco mesh on sale!).  Walmart also has deco mesh, but it is a very limited selection.  It seems to be less expensive there though.  You need a wreath ring, a few different sizes and colors of deco mesh, a roll of ribbon, pipe cleaners (I try to get ones to match what deco mesh I’m working with) and some embellishments (I chose silk flowers).

My supplies (cost me approximately $40 and is enough to make 2 wreaths)

Take your pipe cleaners and twist one on each section around the inner and outer rings.  Don’t worry.  They don’t have to be super tight (or look pretty…).  They will slide around a bit.

Looks kind of funny...

Open your widest deco mesh roll and bunch up the end.  Secure it to the wreath with a pipe cleaner on the inner ring.

Just give the pipe cleaner a twist to secure the mesh
Now you just go around the inner ring of the wreath form bunching and gathering the mesh and securing it to the wreath form with a pipe cleaner.  Make it as poofy or non-poofy as you desire.  I did about 6 inches bunched up between each pipe cleaner.  

Bunch and twist, bunch and twist....

Once you finish the inner ring, you just start directly above where you ended and bunch and secure the mesh around the outer ring of the the wreath form. The photo below shows a little closer view of how I secured the mesh. 

I just loved this striped mesh!

Once you make it around the outer ring, cut your mesh off.  The wreath already looks pretty great!

The base of the wreath is complete!

I like my wreaths huge and poofy, so I add some extra layers.  This is where you can really go crazy! I chose to do two additional colors of mesh.  I started with the wider of the two meshes-orange! Instead of going around the inner ring one time and then the outer ring one time, I went back and forth securing on the inner ring, then bunching, and securing the next section over on the outer ring.  I just like the way it spreads the color out on the wreath.

Adding a pop of orange!

Then I did the same with the pink mesh.  Look how poofy and beautiful it is starting to be!

Adding a pop of pink!

I found the cutest chevron ribbon and wanted to add it for an additional color pop.  So I weaved the ribbon (laying it flat as opposed to the bunching I did with the mesh) still going from inner to outer ring pipe cleaners.

I honestly wasn't sure I loved the ribbon once I got it on the wreath, but decided to leave it and it has grown on me!
I decided that this was all my wreath needed as far as volume (plus my pipe cleaners were almost out of space to hold anything else!) so I cleaned up the pipe cleaners by flipping the wreath upside down and securing the remainder of the pipe cleaner to the wreath form.

Basically just hide the pipe cleaner ends on the back of the wreath...
Then I flipped the wreath back over and fluffed a little so that everything looked nearly perfect.

Almost done!
I used a hot glue gun to secure my decorations (flowers) to the wreath for the finishing Spring touches.

April Showers Bring May Flowers!
Fluff a little more and I had my finished product!



This wreath seriously took me about 25 minutes from start to finish!  I just couldn't believe how easy these wreaths are to make.  Awesome, right?!?!  I can't wait to make one for every season.  Next on my list is a St. Louis Cardinals wreath!!

Craft away Secret Sisters!!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment