Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Motivational Monday- Never Fully Dressed

There was a time when I covered my mouth to laugh.  Children were cruel and had all kinds of horrific things to say about my large overbite, larger teeth and an even larger gums.  My lips seemed to swell around the vastness that was my mouth, creating even more of a target for ruthless classmates.  It's one of the few things there is no way to hide.  A gaping hole in the center of your face is unlike a birthmark on your back, or webbed feet.  That was my defeated opinion of my smile, a gaping hole unable to be masked.

Im not quite sure when those insecurities subsided.  It was most likely a combination of some serious dental work (hellooooo head gear) and a healthy dose of maturity.  I realized over time that despite the restricted minds of small children my smile was not something to be ashamed of.  I learned to embrace all that a smile encompasses.  Your smile, your laugh, those are physical expressions of happiness.  I allowed myself to disregard the cold judgement about a piece of me that is linked with joy.  Those who love and care for me will be warmed by my smile, and will know it is given out in times of peace, comfort, silliness and a number of other happy occasions.

As I kick off this chilly Monday morning I begin with a smile.  A smile to my husband, to convey love for all that he has given me.  A smile to my children, to convey safety and warmth on this wintry day.  A smile to a stranger, to convey appreciation of the kind community I belong to.   A smile to all my Secret Sisters, in the hopes of spreading more displays of physical happiness.

It's Motivational Monday, sisters, and you're never fully dressed without a SMILE!

Is there something you have grown to love about yourself, despite critique or judgement? Do you know someone with a perfectly imperfect grin? Share, share, share ladies!!!


Lindsay

1 comment:

  1. I was born with a pink birthmark on my forehead, and although doctors told my mom that it would go away, it never did. My mom would call it an angel kiss, but others weren't as compassionate. At a very young age my grandparents offered to have it lazer removed for fear that I would get made fun of when I started school. Being a spitfire 5 year old at the time, I refused. I couldn't understand why they would want to change me. This was a part of me, this made me special. Growing up people did make fun of me, but I brushed it off as much as I could. I still get very odd comments from time to time. Is it a curling iron burn, did I get into a fight, I even had someone ask me if it was a hickey! Yes, yes I let someone suck on my forehead....smh. Kids are the best, they have no filter. I can almost guarantee that I will be asked about it when I go into my son's prek class! But its so innocent, and once I explain that its a birthmark I've had since I was a baby, they just go on about their business, no big deal. I sometimes question my decision so long ago, would I go back and take them up on their offer?! The answer is no. I am who I am, and I wouldn't be me without it. Funny how your 5 year old self was so wise. So heres to all of us being imperfectly perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete