Pages

Monday, June 9, 2014

'Can't Go Wrong' Guacamole

Being from California avocados are easily accessible.  They are available at any restaurant, deli and corner market.  Guacamole was a staple in my household growing up, and my dad was the king.  Although I loved it, I never realized what a treasure it was until I started making it for friends.  I may not be too impressive in the kitchen, but guacamole is one of the few culinary tricks up my sleeve.  

To begin I will give a brief overview on how you pick the perfect avocado for guacamole.  You want to pick one that is not overly firm or mushy (moushy being the technical terminology, of course).  If it is too hard it will be near impossible to mash, leaving a terrible texture, as well as it will taste bitter and awful.  If it is overly ripe it will be mushy and brown on the inside.  This will also be a less then desirable flavor, and a visual appearance of infant feces, always a crowd pleaser.  When pressing on the avocado there should be some give.  If there is no give it is too firm.  It should feel somewhat like a nerf football (that description is courtesy of my hub).  Pushing on it should not leave a deep indent, just a slight give.  

Here are all the ingredients you will need for my 'Can't Go Wrong' Guacamole 

Ingredients: 
4 avocados
2 Tbsp mayo
1/4 C Favorite Salsa
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder 
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
Salt to taste, approximately 1/4 teaspoon
1/4 cup of cilantro 
Favorite hot sauce to taste



Directions:

Cut the avocados and place into a bowl.  Mash the avocado to desired consistency (I prefer a fork, but you could also use a potato masher or a food processor if you wanted it super creamy).

You then add your mayo, which will also help give your guac that desired creamy texture.  Now add your favorite salsa.  I am a big fan of sweet and savory, so I typically opt for a pineapple or mango salsa but any one will do.  
Then add your salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Add your favorite hot sauce.  You can determine the level of spice by how much you put in, but a quality guac needs at least a bit of a kick (in my opinion).  If you have not tried Tapatio, I highly recommend it!  
Lastly, I add fresh cilantro.  This is the piece de la resistance!  This is what takes a good guacamole to a great guacamole.  That and following the rest of my fabulous recipe :-).  You can dice it up if you want, but I opt to just tear it and toss it in.  Regardless of how you do it, it is important to either cut or tear the leaves because that is what really releases that bright flavor.  I try my best not to put stems into the guac because I don't like their texture, but I think that is probably a personal preference.  
Get your favorite tortilla chips, and ENJOY!  Keep in mind that guacamole will brown fairly quick, so if you are taking it to any type of event wait as long as possible to prepare it.  
This recipe is great for any potluck, and fits in great with a 4th of July spread!!


Have you made Guacamole before?  Do you have a go to recipe?  Let us know if you try this one out and how you like it!  Share away!!  
*L indsay

No comments:

Post a Comment