Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Insulted Soul

I mean, right?!!!!!
Why are we not doing this more?  All we have been told and taught is a product of so many things.  We are influenced by pop culture, family, peers, mentors, etc.  Some of it we accept as fact and truth without a second thought.  That needs to STOP!  We need to take a second to reassess all that we 'know' and determine what might need to be dismissed.  Conformity is contagious but heightening our self awareness to ensure we aren't simply accepting majority rules is essential to being an individual.  Take the reins back to your soul!  If something doesn't seem to align with your instincts, dismiss or distance it from your life.  

A few years back we bought our first home.  It was something of a blank canvas to us and I was initially overwhelmed (I am still overwhelmed with all the projects that pop into my head, but that's the joy of being a homeowner!).  Right away I began scouring the internet (most specifically Pinterest, lets be real).  I found so many ideas of things that seemed to be what you were supposed to do.  The perfectly orchestrated living room, everything with a purpose and neat placement.  After weeks, and basically a lifetime, of believing this was how a grown up home should look, I was able to take a step back and realize that just wasn't me.  That style, and that way of thinking was truly an insult to my soul.  I want my house to be the story of my life, and an extension of my family.  I began to fight the urge to conform to how a 'big kid' home should look, and follow my instincts of what I wanted my sanctuary to be.  I avoided any information regarding color schemes, and simply doused my house with every color I could get my hands on.  

This is just an example of how I dismissed something I found insulting to my soul.  Many people love and adore that type of home, and I am not knocking you for it!!!  Rather, I am saying, ditch what has been taught as truth for something more individualized to your soul.   

Embrace your instincts, and disregard the things you have been told that just do not sit well within your soul!

After your own re-examination, let us know what you dismiss?  Did you find any 'truth's' particularly insulting to your soul?  Share Share Share!!

No comments:

Post a Comment